Monday, July 5, 2010

Small world. Smaller Ironman world.

Yesterday, as I was waiting to board my flight back to LA from San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, I saw a tanned guy who was wearing an Ironman t-shirt. Of course, I said hello and asked him what IM race he had done. Turns out, he was one of the two thousand plus participants who finished Ironman Coeur d'Alene just last week on June 27th, AND it was his first Ironman 140.6 finish! It was truly a "small world" moment because, as I told him, IM Coeur d'Alene had been my first (and only) IM finish too! His name was Justin and he was in Mexico with his wife and daughter celebrating his fine accomplishment. It was great to see his wife's pride and his quite satisfaction of his worthy accomplishment. There's nothing quite like the satisfaction that comes going the distance to finish an Ironman race. There's a saying about Ironman which goes like this: You can quite anytime you want, but no one will care and you'll always know. I love that.